Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Windows XP SP3 plus Internet Explorer 8 plus Microsoft Update equals malicious add-on (DEP) error

Yesterday I installed a netbook from scratch. Everything went fine.

After installing XP SP3 and IE8 I wanted to switch Windows Update to Microsoft Update. Currently this PC has no Office installed but I wanted to make sure that I don’t miss an update if I ever decide to install it.

Okay, clicked on Microsoft Update inside Windows Update and IE8 stalled. After a few moments I get an Data Execution Prevention error and IE was telling me that an malicious add-on was the cause of this. WTF!?!?

After trying to fix this unsuccessfully, I though that goggling might be an good idea.

Bingo, shortly after I came across a discussion about this on Microsoft Answers. Once more the solution Microsoft has declared as “answer” was not the answer, but a user named Valeyard had the solution:

Inside ToolsInternet OptionsAdvanced (Security section) disable/uncheck the option Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks.

Did that, restart the PC and Microsoft Update worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment